Mighty Munch

Mighty Munch

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Professional Input


After storytime this morning Gi and I stopped by the local mall. I told myself that the reason was to see if there were any good sales at Gymboree. But that wasn't it. I secretly wanted to stop by the children's hair salon to see if any damage control could be done on the bang job I gave Gi. So I pretended to innocently stroll into the salon with Gi. The receptionist takes one look at Gi and me and the exchange goes like this:

ME: Hi, I was just wondering at what age should children get their hair cut?

RECEPTIONIST (looking skeptically at me): Oh, it's just whenever they are ready. There's no certain age. Sometimes, the parent might have to sit with the child.

ME (blurting out guiltily): That's great! I did a horrible job on her bangs. Do you think it can be fixed???

RECEPTIONIST (looking sympathetically at Gi and trying to hold back a snicker intended for me): Oh noooo. It's too short right now. We'll have to wait until they grow out. We don't want her to look like a boy.

ME (dejected): Uh, o.k. Sorry, I'm new at this mom thing. I won't touch her hair again, I swear.

Gi and I stroll out. We walk through Dillard's to get to our car. An elderly couple happen to walk past us. The husband sees Gi in her stroller and good heartedly comments to her, "You're a handsome little one, arn't you?" Gi and I both look at him with a big smile and wave our greetings, me speechless, Gi oblivious.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this story. As a matter a fact, her grandma said the same thing when she saw her new haircut.
"poor thing she looks like a boy".!!! she said.

Anonymous said...

Gi just needs to wear a dress everyday until her hair grows out. Also, does she have enough hair to gather at the crown to make a water fountain hairdo??!

Kristen and David said...

she doesn't look like a boy at all!

Anonymous said...

Gi looks lovely, anyway...

Anonymous said...

I think she looks absolutely adorable! I can't remember how many times my mother started to trim my hair when I was young and instead ended up butchering it - a one inch trim became a 4-6 inch haircut/butcher-cut...

Jessica

Blog Archive