Mighty Munch

Mighty Munch

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"No No No No Dakta Mama"


That would be Gi talk for "I don't want to go to the opthalmologist." As early as last night, hubs and I started to prep Munch for her eventual eye exam today. We thought we were clever by casually introducing the topic during supper last night. What a big mistake! Gi immediately soured and started to push her dinner plate away. If there is anything that hubs and I don't want to see is Munch refusing to eat...this is the D household afterall. We eat and encourage eating. We quickly swept the topic under the rug and cajoled Gi into finishing her buttered pasta. So this morning, with hubs at work already, I reintroduced the subject with Munch. Same reaction. I'm a little desparate now. Visions of insane crying and an exasperated doctor crept into my mind. So Gi and I practiced examining each other's eyes with her new doctor kit that she got for Christmas. This and frequent reassurances that eye exams don't hurt seem to relieve some of the anxiety. Fast forward to the actual eye exam. Munch is all nervous smiles for Dr. Friedman. He wins her over with his bright attitude and comical gestures. Turns out my no.1 daughter has a bit of far-sightedness and astigmatism...all nothing to worry about according to the good doctor as this is common in young children and they usually outgrow this. He also noted that the skin by her lower eyelid is very tight causing her lower lashes to possibly brush against her eyeball. Again, nothing to worry about as children often outgrow this also. And so I breathe another sigh of relief...another exam performed with resulting good news. So what's next? Ahhh, the dreaded first dental exam. I got some excellent pointers from my good friend, Wendy. I'll be praying for dental bliss also as I know that a dental exam will be much more invasive then an eye one. It's going to be a crap shoot, my friends.

2 comments:

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

At least the eye doctor visit is 1,000,000 times better then the dentist visit... you may want to start playing dentists... hehehe...

Anonymous said...

Poor kid, probably all those shots gave her a fear of doctors! Last year, an Egyptian 1st grade boy balled his eyes out when his class went outside to tour an ambulance for Career/Safety Day. Since he was non-English speaking, his teacher and I thought perhaps he had a traumatic experience with an accident or something. Turns out, according to his parents, he has a tremendous fear of shots!