Mighty Munch

Mighty Munch

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Don't Call Us We'll Call You


So it's Christmas eve and hubs decides to ring his parents to wish them a jolly one. The line rings endlessly...no answering machine, no explanations. Hubs tries again a couple of hours later. Same results. Now hubs grumbles to me that his parents must be traveling for the holidays and have failed to turn on their answering machine to catch any well-wishers. So the next day rolls around and hubs tries again. What do you know? He gets the same results. Hubs gives it a couple more tries throughout that day and then gives up completely. This morning, feeling a little miffed, hubs dials again. This time getting Vovo Joe Joe immediately on the other end. In rapid-fire Portuguese, I hear hubs speaking with his dad. Turns out Vovo Joe Joe plugged both phone lines into his modem not knowing that incoming calls would not be detected even though outgoing calls would functioned normally. So in the course of a few days, my in-laws, who have been in their condo all along, have missed several important holiday calls and, I'm not kidding here, even the funeral of a relative. Hubs, the IT geek that he is, was, needless to say, most incensed with this technical glitch executed by his internet-loving father. Now hubs makes it a point to instruct Gi on the proper way to address her paternal grandfather...Vovo Doe Doe.

3 comments:

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Ohhhhhh... I know how he feels - I call my mum but forever getting that answering machine... does she live at the house?

Anonymous said...

Now, after the holidays are over I,d like to make a comment to this `¨Don´t call us...`.
In the western civilization whem a family member passes away to another better life, the real friends and close relatives send condolences to to inner family members such brothers, sisters etc. On this specific case was my youngest brother. what a got from my son,s wife was a fine nasty remark of my phone connection, instead. In the asia civilization they really react different from ours.
What else can I say..!!
In time.
My brothers name was Francisco de Oliveira, same last name of mine my son, his wife and my dear
Gigi.

Joe de Oliveira Jr

(vovo,s joe joe).

Sandi said...

Ana,

I've enjoyed reading the adventures of Gigi over what seems like years. I'm sorry you've stopped although I understand that peace in the family must come first.
Thank you.
Sandi
LID 3/27/2006